More Brands We Like
Follow us on TwitterMy Tweets
- Germany, land of woefully slow internetA new report has found that only a small fraction of German users get the internet speeds that providers promise. And, according to a study of service providers, the problem is only getting worse.
- Berliners campaign to limit billboard adsA campaign has been launched in the German capital to reduce the number of billboards and free up public space. The group behind it, Berlin Werbefrei, says it would help bring back the city's unique character.
- Opinion: With friends like Sebastian Kurz, Angela Merkel doesn't need enemiesAustria's new chancellor wants his German counterpart to judge his government "on its deeds" and not on his far-right coalition partner. While both sides stress their closeness, it's hard to ignore what divides them.
- Germany, land of woefully slow internet
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Tag Archives: Lebkuchen
(Article by our Guest Author Gabriele Utz)
Germany has the most beautiful Christmas Markets. I put together a little collection of German Christmas Markets Videos that you will love. Find out about how Germany really is. It is not what you might think. It can be very modern but also very traditional. It is a combination of both and this makes it unique. Old World charm combined with contemporary features. German Christmas Markets are in almost every big or smaller city of Germany. There are markets in Castles like the famous one at the Hohenzollern Castle in Hechingen or the castle Thurn and Taxis.
Find hand crafted Christmas ornaments like the Erzgebirge pyramid or the Herrenhuter Star. Find different kinds of Lebkuchen and home made cookies; honey candles and Gluehwein mugs.
Enjoy the good German food like Bratwurst, local specialties and Gluehwein or Feuerzangen Bowle. That’s how Germany is – More than what you might think. Enjoy!
German Christmas Markets: Berlin
German Christmas Markets: Heidelberg
German Christmas Markets: Siegen
German Christmas Markets: Nuernberg
Article Source: MyBestGermanRecipes
MyBestGermanRecipes is the creation of Gabriele Utz. Interested in cooking and baking ever since she can think of she now has turned her passion into reality, and has started an online cookbook with authentic German recipes in 2010. The website offers more than 300 original German recipes.
- ‘Adventzeit’ and Christmas Season (californiagermans.com)
- Top 10 – Christmas Markets (essentialtravel.co.uk)
- Germany’s Oldest Christmas Market Opens in Dresden (shoppingblog.com)
- Video: A Viennese Christmas Market (o.canada.com)
- European Christmas markets (cbsnews.com)
Christmas Season officially starts on the First Advent in Germany. Since this year that day is actually on December 2nd, children will also have already opened their second door on their Advent Calendars, a beloved holiday tradition that marks down the days to the highly anticipated Christmas Eve (Heiligabend).
The First Advent, when in November, often marks also the first day of the Christmas Markets (Christkindlmarkt) which are then open until December 24, the ‘Heiligabend’. For the next few weeks visitors will enjoy hot and scented Gluehwein, warm roasted chestnuts and all kinds of Lebkuchen (a variety of Gingerbreads ) while listening to festive Advent music and walking along little booths selling a great variety of Christmas decorations, the real attraction for young and old. Beautifully handcrafted wooden manger scenes (Holzkrippen) are usually also on display at bigger Christkindl Markets, and Saint Nikolaus is walking the streets to great little children.
Delicious Christmas Favorites for the Holidays
To ring in the holidays for everyone here in California, and fill your home with the delicious fragrance of freshly baked Christmas cookies, we have invited guest author Gabriele Utz, founder of MyBestGermanRecipe.com, to share some of her favorite German holiday recipes with us.
Gabriele, born and raised in Germany, lives with her family in Los Angeles and has always been interested in cooking and baking. After her move to L.A. she thoroughly missed German food, and thinking that other fellow ex-pats might feel the same, she founded MyBestGermanRecipes.com in 2010. The website has now more then 300 original recipes for German food lovers!
Look out for a new holiday recipe on each Advent Sunday. A special “Silvester Rezept” will await you for New Year’s eve!
Christmas Markets and Events around California
Some German Christmas events around California are happening tomorrow (December 1st) to welcome the holiday season. Check out our Event Calendar for location and time.
Have a wonderful Holiday Season !
- Christmas Markets: Europe’s Annual Holiday Markets Open To The Public (PHOTOS) (huffingtonpost.com)