Rum Squares – Rumwürfel
Gusti F. from Northern California shared her easy to bake recipe for delicious Rumwürfel/Rum Squares. Let’s say it’s a cookie for adults, since the rum flavor is a bit strong for the kids. But I can assure you, you will fall in love with these Rum Squares! They are just so delectable! – Thank you, Gusti!
Ingredients for the sponge dough mixture:
160 g butter
4 whole eggs
(60g cocoa if you like the dough to be chocolate colored inside; or you can make half a batch with brown dough and the other half with light dough)
3/4 of a Dr. Oetker baking powder bag
1 small cup of milk
Ingredients for the chocolate/coconut coating:
500g powdered sugar
8 rows of “Blockschokolade” (baking chocolate)
3/4 l rum
1 -2 bags of coconut flakes
1. Combine the butter, eggs, sugar, flower, baking powder and milk and blend it into a sponge cake mixture (Rührteig). Once smooth, put half of the dough mixture aside and mix in the cocoa so you can make half a batch of rum squares that a chocolaty inside.
2. Smooth out the dough on a baking sheet that’s covered with parchment paper and put it in the oven for 45 minutes at 356 F.
3. In the meantime, while the cake mixture is baking, prepare the chocolate coating: Grind the baking chocolate (“Blockschokolade”) and mix it in with the powdered sugar. Slowly add the 3/4 l of rum to the mixture while stirring continuously and blending it into a somewhat pasty mixture.
4. After 45 min take the baking sheet out of the oven and cut the cake into little squares.
5. Put the coconut flakes into a bowl. Take each little cake square and dunk it into the chocolate-rum mixture, let the excess chocolate mixture drop off and then roll the chocolate square in the coconut flakes.
6. After step 5, put each square straight into an airtight container so that the aroma of the tasty Rum Squares is preserved.
Enjoy with a nice hot cup of coffee or tea!
Let us know your favorite Christmas cookie Recipe and send it to CaliforniaGermans(at)gmail.com !
CALIFORNIAGERMANS.com, your Go-to Website for Everything German in California. Find a wealth of resources covering German life in California and read about events and other things German that we come across as Expats here in California. http://www.californiagermans.com