Chocolate Wasp Nests – Wespennester
Today we are adding a chocolate macaroon with slivered almonds and a touch of cloves to our Weihnachstbäckerei. A very light but intensely flavored Christmas cookie satisfying your chocolate cravings. Thank you Christine R. from San Diego!
Ingredients for 60 pieces:
250g slivered almonds
2 tbsp sugar
250g bittersweet chocolate
4 egg whites
1 pinch ground cloves
- Spread the slivered almonds on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with the 2 tbsp sugar. Bake them in the oven at 392F degrees for about 15 minutes to let them get golden brown.
- In the meantime melt the bittersweet chocolate over a hot-water bath
- Let both chocolate and almonds cool down.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Carefully add the sugar and the ground cloves while continuing to beat the egg whites.
- Continue to mix the mixture with the electric mixer (on a lower level) for about another 10 minutes until the mixture takes on a glossy and thick appearance. Slowly add and fold into the mixture the slivered almonds and the melted chocolate.
- With 2 teaspoons make little heaps of dough and put them on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies on the lowest rack in the preheated oven (302 F ) for about 15-20 minutes.
Let us know your favorite German Christmas Cookie Recipe and send it to CaliforniaGermans(at)gmail.com !
Let us know what you think!